Full-time Music Immersion Teacher SJSS
About the School:
The Japanese Secondary School is a Junior High School based on the West Coast of Singapore. An exciting opportunity exists to join our enthusiastic team as Immersion Music Teacher, working across all year levels in the school’s long running Immersion Programme.
Nature of the Role:
The role of music teacher at the Japanese Secondary School is a challenging yet very rewarding position. The position will commence on the 1st of September 2017. The working day commences at 8.15am through to 5.00pm. Club activities are held on Tuesdays and Thursdays to 5.35pm. It is expected that teachers working at SJSS will be in line with all school policies and guidelines. You will be working in both team teaching and singular teaching environments. You will be part of the school’s Immersion Programme that was introduced in 1995. The Programme is aimed to encourage non English speakers to communicate and develop their English skills in a natural English speaking environment. You will be working in large, newly renovated, well equipped music rooms; you will be responsible for several school performances throughout the year.
Main Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Be an excellent communicator, working comfortably in a close, team environment.
- Apply curriculum knowledge and teaching methods which facilitate successful student learning.
- Provide an organised, balanced and challenging programme which is relevant to the needs of the students and consistent with the aims and objectives of the School and the Department.
- Use a range of effective teaching methods, taking into account each individual student’s ability.
- Regularly assess and provide feedback on student’s work.
- Be able to engage students and inspire them to improve their knowledge and thinking skills.
Teachers are expected to:
- Be familiar with the use of technology in Music Education (Sibelius) (iPads) etc.
- Be open and respectful to Japanese language and culture.
- Be flexible regarding extra-curricular school activities.
- Have excellent class management ability.
Position Requirements: Knowledge and Experience
- Have a current knowledge of Music Education, preferred Orff Schulwerk/Kodaly.
- Preferred instrumental teaching experience/playing experience. Guitar/Piano ability favourable.
- Hold a degree in music/music education and a recognized teaching qualification Dip/Ed PGDE.
- Proficient speaker of English.
- Preferred experience with choir/s.
- Two years classroom teaching experience.
- TSL/ESL experience. Preferred.
- Two professional contactable referees with phone and email contacts.
Please email your resume with relevant experience, educational details and two professional contactable references with email and phone contacts to:
Please note only short listed applications will be notified.