Full-Time Math Immersion Teacher SJSS
About the School:
The Japanese Secondary School is a junior high school located at the West Coast of Singapore and has a student body of around 520 students aged between 12 to 14 years. The school offers the Japanese curriculum to the Japanese expatriate community living and working in Singapore. The school has been running a successful English immersion programme involving all students for over 20 years. A Mathematics and Science immersion programme for students attending the Global programme has started this year.
Nature of the Role:
This exciting role for the Mathematics Immersion teacher will offer the right candidate a challenging yet very rewarding career opportunity. The position will commence in April 2018. The working day commences at 8.15am through to 5.00pm. Club activities are held on Tuesdays and Thursdays to 5.30pm. It is expected that teachers working at SJSS will comply with all school policies and guidelines.
Main Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
1. The pedagogy and delivery of the Japanese mathematics curriculum to all year levels (Secondary One, Two and Three).
2. The use of English as a medium for teaching and learning mathematics lessons with a strong emphasis on delivering and developing not only high quality mathematical lessons but a strong focus on English communication skills both verbal and written.
3. Develop and execute teaching materials suitable for Japanese students engaging in an English learning environment.
4. Engage students in lessons.
5. Attend to individual needs of all students.
6. Be open and willing to work in a team teaching environment.
7. Be supportive and understanding in relation to different cultural ideas and processes.
8. Attend club activities and school excursions as required.
9. Attend staff meetings and school events as required.
Teachers are expected to:
1. Demonstrate high levels classroom management skills.
2. Liaise with all staff members within the Mathematics department and other departments as required.
3. Maintain appropriate records.
4. Participate in the ongoing development and evaluation of the Mathematics curriculum.
5. Maintain all equipment and school property.
Position Requirements: Knowledge and Experience
1. Degree in mathematics or equivalent from a recognized university.
2. Native/Proficient/Fluent (Near native) English speaker.
3. TSL/ESL experience preferred.
4. Two years classroom teaching experience (Mathematics).
5. Hold a teaching license/PGDE/Dip-Ed from a recognised institution/university.
6. Two professional contactable referees with phone and email contacts.
If you think that you are a strong candidate for this position, please submit an up-to-date copy of your CV including a photo, two professional referees and a cover letter outlining your relevant teaching and education experience to:
Please note only short listed applications will be notified.